"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for peace and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."
Jeremiah 29:11
This journey began for us in 2013. At the time, Thomas and I were just dating. After months of going undiagnosed and ER trips galore, I was finally diagnosed with endometriosis after my first surgery in the summer of 2013. Less than two months after surgery, my pain was back and the "typical" endo meds were not helping. After months of allergic reactions to medications, they realized I needed to be sent to a specialist.
In spring 2014, I was sent to Midwest Fertility Specialists and began my treatment with Dr. Will, my reproductive endocrinologist. Dr. Will specializes in minimally invasive robotic surgery (Da Vinci) which was the surgery they thought I needed, rather than the common laparoscopy. I had surgery in August 2014, August 2015, and September 2016 all to treat the endometriosis. After surgery in September 2016, we were told we immediately needed to begin trying to start our family. My scar tissue was building up too much, and I was told that surgery was no longer an option. Thomas and I knew this was coming sooner rather than later, and we both have always desired to be parents, so we were excited to start our family.
We started trying immediately after surgery with no success. I knew something was wrong. I have always known my body well. In January, we had a consultation with our RE and were told that treatment needed to begin because of the time crunch and my previous condition.
In January/February, we completed all the fertility tests. Our levels came back good overall. I began taking Clomid and going to weekly reproductive acupuncture appointments. I took daily ovulation tests and went to Carmel for multiple blood tests and ultrasounds. Once I had a single developed follicle, we had our first IUI (Intra-Uterine Insemination) procedure. Nothing came from this cycle--except that we learned that my progesterone levels were too low.
In February/March, I again took Clomid, but a doubled dosage. I still only had one follicle from this cycle, and after blood tests and ultrasounds, they determined that Clomid had zero effect on me. I again took daily ovulation tests, had multiple blood tests and ultrasounds, and reproductive acupuncture. I then had another IUI. Since my progesterone levels were low, they supported me with Prometrium--a daily progesterone medication. This month resulted in disappointment as well.
In April, we had a consultation with our RE to go a different, more intense route. We decided to continue the IUIs, but use IVF meds (Menopur & Ovidrell) instead of Clomid. I had double the amount of blood tests and ultrasounds in this month because of the close monitoring with IVF meds. Thomas had to give me daily injections for 8 days, but since I started on a lower dosage, I still only had one follicle. We completed our third IUI and I continued my daily progesterone meds (upped to twice a day/double dosage) with no success. This was also the month they realized my estrogen levels were low as well.
In the end of April/beginning of May, we began our fourth (and last) IUI treatment. We had decided with our RE that four IUIs was our limit and then we would move onto IVF. I began my Menopur injections and had 8 daily injections this month as well. Since my medication was doubled, we found that I had two follicles and possibly a third in my ultrasound, making our chances better! We were hopeful this month especially because my good results from the injections. We had our last IUI on 5/7 and I continued taking Prometrium twice a day.
On May 21, 2017, we found out we were pregnant. To say we were overjoyed is an incredible understatement. The relief, hope, love, unbelief we felt was overwhelming. We told our families and a few close friends who have been apart of our journey. My initial blood tests came back great. However, four days later, my levels plummeted and I miscarried our precious "May baby" on May 26th.
We visited our doctor last week and talked about the future. He is optimistic and convinced that IVF will eliminate most problems and decrease our chance of miscarriage exponentially. We agreed and will begin our IVF journey officially at the end of June.
In the next couple weeks, we will be going through blood tests and injection instruction appointments to prepare for IVF, which I am thankful for because it will keep me busy until treatment starts.
Please pray for us as we continue our journey and begin a new part of it. We are trying to remain positive and trust in God's plan for our family. We are still grieving our loss of our May baby, but we are hopeful for the future and know that our little one is better off in Paradise than here.
We love you all and thank you for caring enough to keep up with our journey.
Thomas & Abby

Comments
Post a Comment