Let IVF Begin!


The IVF process has begun! On June 27th, I went in for a blood test and ultrasound checking to make sure I was cyst-free so that I could begin my stim shots. I was all clear and given the go-ahead to begin injections the next day. So on the 28th, we began Stims! We're now 3 days in and I have started my Ultrasound and Blood Test rotation, every day to every other day, depending on the follicle growth. I'll post on those and the results of what's happening in my body later this week. For now, I will give some tips/tricks to those who are doing fertility treatments or even more specifically IVF. 


Tips and Tricks for Fertility Treatments / IVF


1. Get organized. 

If you're like me (not medically minded), you're going to be super overwhelmed by everything to do while in treatments. In order to not be so overwhelmed, I channeled my inner Leslie Knope and got organized by personalizing my IVF binder and getting an organizer for my meds/supplies. 

I created my own IVF med chart (based off one they gave me at the doctor) to keep track of the injections and dosage that I am given each night. Since you're supposed to alternate, I also included which side the injection is given on. You get to a point where your stomach is so bruised that you can't remember which side you last injected. I made the chart pretty with fancy font so it didn't feel so sterile too. It's the little things, haha. 



The best thing I could have done though, was buying this organizer for my meds/supplies. I saw this idea on Pinterest and immediately loved it. I then went and searched for the perfect "jewelry/closet organizer" that would fit all my meds and supplies. However, the one with the right sizing happened to be pink zebra print which isn't my favorite, haha. I put all my meds (except the refrigerated ones) and supplies in the organizer and labeled it, making it easier to prepare every night. 



2. Download the Naula app (or one similar).

I love everything about this app. It helps me keep track of all my appointments and medications. It has videos to show you how to administer each injection that you may have to take. It has all the most common fertility drugs and procedures preloaded so that it makes adding appts./meds super easy. You can also check them off when you went to the appointment or took the medications. It costs a few dollars, but I have found it to be very worth it.





3. Ice first, heat second.

I read about this tip on another IVF blog and I am grateful I did. Every night while Thomas is preparing the injections, I have been icing the side of my stomach that we are injecting that night. When he gives me the shot, I can't feel the needle stick me as much. It makes it almost impossible to feel the Gonal-F pen go in! Menopur is a little different because it is the drug of the devil and burns like fire...but you eventually get used to that too. 

After he's done with the injection line-up, I have been heating the area with rice packs. My wonderful friend sewed me the cutest rice packs ever (in different weights and sizes too!) because she is a beautiful, giving human being who I love so much. And because she supports me being a cat lady. ;) (Thank you, Jess!) I lay those on the injection site for about 5-10 minutes and it helps me to feel better and not bruise as badly the next day.




4. Find a Bible reading plan.

Give yourself some comfort while going through this journey. Find a Bible reading plan to take you through each night. I found mine on Pinterest. It lasts 20 days so it takes you through the injections/procedures process and even some of the waiting period! Not only will you be comforted through the shots, appointments, medications, pains, etc., but you will also be given some perspective: having a baby isn't truly what is most important in this life...your salvation is. 



5. Find little things that brighten your day and make the process easier. 

My bedside table has become my "IVF station".  This is where I keep my binder for easy access to my med chart and calendar when we do injections. I decided to brighten it up a little with reminders that I am loved and all things will work together for good because I love God. I bought socks that say "Think Positive". I diffuse oils when I feel anxious. I cuddle cats and mother them. The little things really do help you through.






Thank you to everyone who has offered us encouraging words for this blog. We appreciate the opportunity to go through our journey with you: people who love us and let us be open about our struggles. We've found that helping others through their journeys, even if it's only the tiniest bit, helps us through our own...so to all those who have reached out who are going through similar things, we love you and pray for you all often. 

Abby & Thomas

Comments

  1. I commented before, and I just want to continue offering my positive thoughts and prayers! My IVF journey didn't end up working out but I've managed to get through it. The most important thing is knowing I never gave up. I can just tell it'll work out for you and you'll end up with a sweet little baby (or, babies; as IVF usually works!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for continuing to follow our story...and for continuing to think of us. I'm sorry IVF didn't work for you and hope and pray that you'll be able to be at peace with that as you continue your journey.

      Delete

Post a Comment