Frozen Embryo Transfer Preparation






I'm telling you right now...if we get pregnant and have a little one from this Frozen Embryo Transfer, we're going to harass  our kid the rest of their life with the statement, "Well, the cold never bothered you anyway." (If you don't get that reference, go watch Disney's Frozen).

We began preparing for our FET (Frozen Embryo Transfer) on July 28th. Compared to the fresh IVF cycle, this round is NOTHING. It's nice to get a little bit of a treatment "break" after such a taxing month.

I began taking Estrace (Estrogen) three times a day on the 28th. Once I had almost been on this for 2 weeks, I had to go back in for an ultrasound to check the lining of my uterus and make sure it was thickening properly. I went on August 9th for my blood test and ultrasound and the lining wasn't where it needed to be yet, so they bumped my Estrace up to four times a day. I went back this morning before church for another blood test and ultrasound and we were told that all was perfect and I was ready to start PIO (Progesterone in Oil) injections for a FET on Friday morning. I will also start an antibiotic and a steroid tomorrow (like last time) to prepare my body for the procedure and avoid infection.

So the big day is Friday! Yay!



A little bit about a FET: 
On Friday morning, they will thaw our embryo. The survival of the embryo after the thaw is normally excellent...but it is possible for the embryo to thaw incorrectly. So please pray that our little embryo thaws well and gives us a chance to see if this process will work for us.

After our cute little embryo is thawed, they do the same process as our last transfer. They will instruct me on when to take my Valium to relax me for my procedure. I will be given a picture of the embryo and then will watch the ultrasound while they transfer our little embryo over. Then I'll pray that my uterus will stop being a jerk and just be hospitable already. After that, it's as many days possible of full relaxation, so I will take a couple days off work to make sure I'm doing all I can to help little embryo be safe and grow.

Scientifically, my chances are looking wonderful for getting pregnant from this round. I am 80% likely to become pregnant from this procedure after everything I have done. My wonderful doctor has told me time and time again that this is a better route for me because it is more controlled. They don't have to worry about my progesterone levels being too high because they completely control them this time, unlike the fresh transfer we did last month. (Last month, my progesterone level was at 1.3 when they did the transfer. They want it to be at 1.0 and 1.5 is too high to do the transfer...so I was borderline, which could be a scientific reason as to why it didn't work.) We have a fully developed embryo this time that made it to Day 5 to be frozen and was very healthy. Last time, they transferred an embryo that was only at Day 4, because it was the best I had. So again, scientifically it all looks good.

However, we all know that science doesn't matter too much. I am so thankful for the advancements they have made. Even when I am experiencing "morning sickness" because of my meds and not because I'm finally pregnant or when I am being a human pin cushion, I try and remind myself that 30 years ago, I wouldn't have been able to try these procedures. BUT science means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I will end up pregnant if and when God wants me to and I know that wholeheartedly. I have been told that many times by many people, but that was never something I doubted. The selfish human side of me just hopes it's part of His plan and sooner rather than later. As for that, we'll just have to wait and see. But while we wait, prayers are appreciated like always.



We love you all.

Abby & Thomas

Comments

  1. Fingers crossed, payers going up, full steam ahead! So sorry to have heard about your grandfather. My grandmother passed a couple months ago so I know too well the hurt. But, I have such hopes for this transfer! Good luck Abby and Thomas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment